Michigan Beer Film – The Explosive Growth of the Michigan Craft Brewing Industry
The Michigan Beer Film depicts the explosive growth of the Michigan craft brewing industry, both economic and artistic. Director Kevin Romeo explains, “We want people to understand more about what goes into the beer they drink and that they can be a part of something really spectacular. In addition, there are definitely some jabs thrown at ‘big beer’ in the film. The ‘buy local’ movement is very evident throughout the film.”
Director Kevin Romeo and Rhino Media Productions from Kalamazoo, Michigan began with a humble idea to produce a film for beer fans and movie fans alike. With over 140 craft breweries in the state, and a run time of 120 minutes, it was impossible to pay tribute to all of them. Romeo and his crew visited over 30 breweries throughout the course of filming, but not all of them made the final cut.
The Michigan Beer Film celebrates old core values in a new generation of community-conscious consumers and the proliferation of the Michigan craft beer industry. At the same time, the film addresses some challenges that brewers and entrepreneurs encounter in the midst of the industry’s rapid growth.
The directors were very intentional in selecting the style of music for the Michigan Beer Film. They wanted for the film to convey the raw energy and emotion as was necessary. At the same time, they were very committed to using only Michigan based music. Below is a list of the amazing songs that were curated for this film.
- “The Devil Made Me Do It”, “On This Mountain”, “You Alone Know”, “Who is He, Anyway?” by THE SOIL & THE SUN
- “Icarus”, “Easier”, “Shallow River”, “Once and For All” by THE CRANE WIVES
- “Hard Times”, “Huck Finn”, “Drinking Song” by ANDRU BEMIS
- “Two Pears Dancing”, “Drowsy Maggie/Sidetracked”, “We Sail at Dawn” by THE MOXIE STRINGS
- “Hurt You” and “Cubicle Blues” by BARN ON FIRE
- “Ambient Guitar 1” by STEVE GANSEN
- “You Ain’t the Only Game” by DELILAH DEWYLDE AND THE LOST BOYS
- “Be My Baby Tonight” by JOSH CARESS
- “Days are Running” by BENNETT